Working together to solve tough problems and find a better path
Family counseling helps families improve communication, reduce conflicts, get through hard times, improve relationships and live more happily together.
Peak Wellness Center offers family counseling as an independent service or in conjunction with other programs at our clinics, such as treatment of an individual family member for mental health or substance abuse issues.
Our licensed counselors have special training in family dynamics and years of experience in family therapy.
How counseling can help your family
Families are complicated! Sometimes it really helps to have someone outside the family facilitate a calm, open discussion, ask the right questions, identify communication patterns and disconnects in family dynamics, and clarify what people actually mean by their words (or lack of words), body language and actions.
While not always the case, often it’s a specific event or escalating behavior on the part of one or more family members that leads families to seek counseling.
Here are just a few examples of times Peak can help your family:
- Mental health episodes or someone with mental illness in the family
- Substance abuse or treatment for chemical dependency
- Coping with grief after loss of a family member or other loved one
- Marital conflict or divorce
- Domestic violence or abuse of any kind
- Traumatic events in the life of a family member or the family as a whole
- Loss of a job or taking a new job
- Trouble at school
- Family transitions—the birth of a child, moving, marriage, separation, divorce, a child leaving home or moving back home
Who participates in family therapy sessions
Counseling sessions may involve different combinations of family members:
- Immediate family members
- Immediate family plus extended family members
- Couples or spouses
- Parents and children
Family counseling can work even more effectively when combined with separate individual counseling for each family member.