Depressed 19 year old college studentMon, Mar 9th 2009
Hello, I am a 19 year old college student. My whole life I have always been very socially behind, very few friends and never really good with girls or dating. Now that I am 19, I find myself with only 1 friend, and have only had one short-term relationship with a girl I met off Myspace. We dated for 2 months then she broke up with me. My lack of social experience has left me very depressed and my problem is only getting worse. I don't know how to make new friends or find a date. Sometimes when people call me at home I am afraid to answer the phone, so I let the voicemail pick up and never call them back. In school I have good grades and have no problem talking to anyone in my class, it just never turns into anything. In other words, I talk to these people in class, but never see them again outside of class. What is my problem? How can I impove myself to be better with people?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.